OneSearch is Western’s new search interface that retrieves results from databases and catalogs found in academic libraries across the Pacific Northwest. In OneSearch, content owned by Western is immediately accessible by our students, staff, and faculty; all other content from neighboring institutions can be requested and quickly delivered. OneSearch will continue to evolve and improve this year when all 37 Orbis Cascade Alliance libraries complete the migration of their catalog and database records into the new shared system.
OneSearch is Western’s name for the Primo™ search engine product developed by the international information systems vendor Ex Libris. This product has been adopted by academic libraries around the world, including California State University at Sacramento, George Mason University, Cardiff University, University of Cape Town, and Harvard University Library. Note: You can find a comprehensive list of academic libraries that have implemented Primo as their institutional catalog here.
How can OneSearch serve you? Here is an overview of what OneSearch can offer Western faculty and students:
For Western’s Faculty & Staff:
- Browse Searching: Browse by author, title, subject heading, SUDOC number, and Library of Congress call number within OneSearch.
- Known Journal Title Searching: Need access to a specific journal? Search by journal title in the A-Z Journals interface.
- Languages: Filter search results by several languages.
- Heritage Resources: Search for, and retrieve, item records that detail holdings within Western Washington University’s Heritage Resources Department, including Western Libraries Special Collections, University Records & Archives, and the Center for Pacific Northwest Studies.
- Library of Congress Classification Facet: Filter search results through a new LC Classification facet, which can enhance the disciplinary relevance of your results.
- Research & Library Services Management: Manage your research and library services experience through the My Account functionality. Save items, searches, and more to your e-Shelf.
For Western’s Students:
- Breadth of Resources from a Single Search Interface: Using the ‘Books, Articles + More’ scope, students can search for content across databases and catalogs. For a full list of data sources, please refer to this list.
- Research & Library Services Management: OneSearch allows students to manage their research and library services experience through the My Account functionality, where they can save items, searches, and more to their e-Shelf.
During this academic year, the OneSearch Management Team will continue the transition from the Libraries old catalog system to a fully implemented shared catalog that draws upon data sources from the Orbis Cascade Alliance’s 37 member libraries. During this time of transition, the Team (a taskforce devoted to improving OneSearch) will continue to actively seeking faculty and student feedback. If you have experienced particular benefits or limitations with the product, or have suggested improvements or enhancements, we very much want to hear from you. Please contact Rebecca Marrall to set up a time for her to visit you. And for one-stop information about OneSearch functionality and examples of continuing product improvements, please see http://libguides.wwu.edu/onesearch.
For more information, contact:
Rebecca M. Marrall / Diversity & Disability Services Librarian, Asst. Professor / Western Libraries, WL275 / (360) 650 – 4493 / firstname.lastname@example.org