The news @ Western Libraries
The main stairwell in Wilson is getting a makeover and the transformation will soon be completed! A fresh coat of paint, some new light fixtures and the removal of some old ugly tiles is really livening up the place wonderfully.
In addition to the updated stairwells, new light fixtures have been put in place on the landings on the upper floors of the Wilson side and the ceilings have also been repainted. More light fixtures will be replaced on the 2nd floor of Wilson in the very near future.
These much needed updates will really help to brighten up the formerly dark passageways on the Wilson side of the Library and help provide a safer environment for all of our patrons!
This project was funded out of the Capital Budget for the University. With all of the work done by Western's own crew of painters and electrians; this job is a completely "in-house" project. Thanks to the wonderful crew of hardworking campus folks who are doing a great job on this project!
What can you do with Oxford Language Dictionaries Online?
New @ the Western Libraries!
The innovative Oxford Language Dictionaries Online site offers essential language resources never before available online: fully searchable, completely comprehensive bilingual dictionaries, and unique study materials that provide extra help with learning and using an expanding range of languages.
* get accurate, up-to-date translations
* use contextual clues and examples to find the "right" word
* find translations fast
* search the full text, or limit search specific parts of speech, subject area, or language
* browse the dictionary
* get explanations of phonetic symbols & parts of speech
* insert accented characters (or letters from a different alphabet) using a handy virtual keyboard
* insert Chinese characters using a helpful pop-up Radical and Character Index
* use the "Did you mean" feature to help you find the entry you're looking for
* print, email, cite, or link all entries
* Find language learning and usage tools and resources
* Get access to hundreds of correspondence templates including sample letters, emails, and CVs and
résumés to provide practical help with writing
Special Collections Opens February 16!
We are nearing the final completion of this project after many years of planning, funding requests, funding adjustments, and design.
Construction itself began in June, 2009. The city inspectors have officially signed off on the project, thus allowing us to totally occupy the space.
This week Transport Services will be here to help relocate furniture items that are already stored on the 6th floor and to move other items up from lower floors.
The plan is to open the space to our users on Tuesday, February 16th. A gala grand opening is being targeted for April.