- Due to scheduled maintenance on Sunday, March 8 from 3:00 to 7:00 am, OneSearch may return partial search results. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Bibliographies about composers are located on the shelf under the call number ML410. Within this call number books are arranged alphabetically by composers' last names (e.g. ML410.B contains books about Beethoven, Berlioz, and Bloch; ML410.M contains biographies about Mahler, Mendelssohn, and Mozart; ML410.S contains biographies about Schubert, Schumann, and Shostakovich).
- Anderson, Ruth. Contemporary American Composers: A Biographical Dictionary. Boston: G.K. Hall, 1982.
- Cohen, Aaron I. International Encyclopedia of Women Composers. New York: Books & Music USA, 1987.
ML105.C7 1987 reference
- Ewen, David. American Composers: A Biographical Dictionary. New York: G.P. Putnam's Sons, 1982.
ML390.E815 1982 reference
- Floyd, Samuel A. Jr. International Dictionary of Black Composers. Chicago: Fitzroy Dearborn, 1999.
ML105.I53 1999 reference
- Green, Richard D. Index to Composer Bibliographies. Detroit: Information Coordinators, 1985.
ML113.G793 1985 reference
- Music in Print. Philadelphia: Musicdata, 1989--
- Sadie, Julie Anne and Rhian Samuel, editors. The New Grove Dictionary of Women Composers. New York: W.W. Norton, 1994.
ML105.N3 1994 reference
- Adams, John L. An Annotated Bibliography of Autobiographies Written by Musicians from 1800 Through 1975 Available in English. Monroe, LA: Northeast Louisiana University, 1978.
- Cowden, Robert H. Classical Singers of the Opera and Recital Stages: A Bibliography of Biographical Materials. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 1994.
ML128.S295 C7 1994 reference
- Cowden, Robert H. Instrumental Virtuosi: A Bibliography of Biographical Materials. New York: Greenwood Press, 1989.
ML128.B3 C73 1989 reference
- Cowden, Robert H. Popular Singers of the Twentieth Century: A Bibliography of Biographical Materials. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 1999.
ML128.S295 C72 1999 reference
- Freeland, David, ed. Baker's Biographical Dictionary of Popular Musicians Since 1990. New York: Schirmer Reference, 2004.
ML102.P66 B35 2004 reference
- Jacobs, Arthur. The Penguin Dictionary of Musical Performers: A Biographical Guide to Significant Interpreters of Classical Music: Singers, Solo Instrumentalists, Conductors, Orchestras, and String Quartets Ranging from the Seventeenth Century to the Present Day. London, New York: Penguin Books, 1991.
ML105.J3 1991 reference
- International Who's Who in Classical Music. London: Europa Publications, 2002--
- International Who's Who in Music, Popular Music. Cambridge: International Who's Who in Music, 2002--
- Musician Necrology Database
Hosted and maintained by Washington University Gaylord Music Library, this website provides death dates and related links to composers, performers, and other music-related persons.
- American Composers Forum
This is a basic-level networking site allowing contemporary American composers to post profiles and information about their work.
- Art of the States
Through a collaboration of WGBH Radio Boston and broadcasters of the European Broadcasting Union, Art of the States has been building an online library of the works of modern American composers. Entries include sound files of the complete work as well as biographical information and a description of each piece in the database.
- Classical Composers Database
Similarly modelled to Wikipedia, members of the Classical Composers Database may add or edit information about composers. The database is searchable by name, group, or time period and may include biographical information, works list, and MP3 sound files.
- Columbia College Chicago: Discography of Music by Black Composers
Organized by broad instrumentation groups, this directory provides a listing of relevant sound recordings.
- Music Library & Listening Center
Compiled by University of Washington Libraries, this database provides links to online resources for over 200 composers.
- Digital Scores ~ Loeb Music Library ~ Harvard College Library
Through Harvard University Library's Digital Initiative program, hundreds of the original manuscripts in the Loeb Library have been scanned and provided with significant metadata.
ClassicalNet supports an online database of webpages dedicated to composers that may include biographical information, recommended works & recordings, and relevant reviews and articles.
Resources by Composer
- Juan Crisostomo Arriaga Digitalized Scores
The Municipal Library of Bilbao, Spain includes in its collections many musical sources for the study of Arriaga's work, including manuscript scores, autographs, and edited scores.
- The J.S. Bach Home Page
In addition to a complete works listing, this site also provides biographical information, relevant literature, and recommended recordings.
- Bach Bibliography
Maintained by independant researchers, this website indexes over 21,000 records of books, articles, and scores by or about J.S. Bach.
- Johann Sebastian Bach Complete Works
Eotvos Lorand University in Budapest provides a digitalized version of the Bach-Gesellschaft zu Leipzig edition (1851-1899) of Bach's complete works. This site is in Magyar and German.
- Ira F. Brilliant Center for Beethoven Studies
The Center for Beethoven Studies is the only North American research center dedicated to the life and work of Ludwig van Beethoven. It is home to the largest collection of Beethoven materials outside of Europe.
- The Beethoven-Haus Bonn Digital Archive
The Beethoven-Haus Digital Archive provides thousands of high-resolution images of materials contained in the physical archive, including mansucripts, first editions, letters, and photographs.
- The Hector Berlioz Website
Maintained by independent researchers, this website includes biographical information, discographies, bibliographies, articles, concert and recording reviews, and additional information.
- The Leonard Bernstein Collection, ca. 1920-1989
Part of the American Memory project at the Library of Congress, the online Leonard Bernstein Collection includes dozens of photographs, the transcripts from Bernstein’s Young People’s Concerts and Thursday Evening Previews, as well as more than 1,000 pieces of correspondence.
- Britten-Pears Foundation
The Britten-Pears Foundation provides biographical information about the composer Benjamin Britten as well as a complete bibliography and related research resources.
- The Hoagy Carmichael Collection
The Hoagy Carmichael Collection is housed in the Archives of Traditional Music at Indiana University. This digital rendering of much of the collection includes photographs, sound files, and sheet music.
- Chopin Early Editions
Part of the University of Chicago Chopin collections, this database provides access to scanned images of early edition Chopin publications.
- The Fryderyk Chopin Digital Collection
This digital collection highlights the collection of Chopin materials held by the National Library in Warsaw. It includes early editions of his scores as well as books on Chopin's life and works.
- Online Chopin Variorum Edition
This project is based in the Department of Music, Royal Holloway, University of London.
- The Aaron Copland Collection ca. 1900-1990
A part of the American Memory project by the Library of Congress, this online collections makes available only a portion of the materials contained in the Copland collection. Included in this online collection are 5,000 images of sketches, correspondence, writings, and photographs.
- The Irving Fine Collection
This online collection, a part of the American Memory project by the Library of Congress, makes a selection of items from the Irving Fine collection available for online viewing. Digital renderings include photographs, a sketchbook, a manuscript score and an accompanying sound recording.
- The Gilbert & Sullivan Archive
Although 'archive' is in the name, this site should be considered an expansive and highly informative gateway to additional resources. It includes information about numerous works, related festivals, articles, films, etc. Also included under the menu item "Memorabilia" is a link to digitized images of related materials.
- The Glen Gould Archive
The Glen Gould Archive website describes the physical collection holdings of the Glen Gould Archive. Also included on the site are audio clips of Gould in conversation and performance.
- The Handel Chrysander Edition Online
This is the complete works of Georg Friedrich Handel compiled in the 1850's by Friedrich Chrysandler. High quality digital images of the complete works are made available.
- The Charles Ives Society, Inc.
The Charles Ives Society maintains a frequently-updated website with suggested readings, discographies, photographs, and critical commentary.
- Leos Janacek Bibliography
This website provides an excellent introduction to the life and times of Leos Janacek. Also included are a list of works, bibliography, and discography/videography.
- Liszt, Franz--Musikalische Werke
This German language site from the Bavarian State Library in Munich is part of a project to create a digitized collection of all Liszt's musical works.
- Jean-Baptiste Lully Collection
Part of the Special Collections library at the University of Northern Texas, the Jean-Baptiste Lully Collection includes detailed information about each of the works by Lully contained in the collection as well as high resolution images of the scores and manuscripts.
- Neue Mozart-Ausgabe: Digitized Version
This site provides digitized renderings of the complete Mozart works published by Barenreiter.
- Archivio Luigi Nono
Founded in 1993 under the initiative of Nuria Schoenberg Nono, the primary goal of the archive is to conserve and promote the works of Luigi Nono. Their collections are comprised of more than 23,000 music mansucripts, autograph letters, Nono's articles and conference presentations, as well as over 10,000 volumes in their library.
- Ignaz Pleyel Early Editions Digital Collection
This collection of over 250 early printed and manuscript scores represents in its entirety the Rita Benton Music Library's holdings of the work of French composer and music publisher Ignaz Pleyel (1757-1831).
- Arnold Schoenberg Center
This is the official website for the Arnold Schoenberg Center in Vienna. This website explores the Center's collections, provides biographical and bibliographical information about Arnold Schoenberg, as well as a discography and information about upcoming events and concerts.
- Schoenberg Archives
Hosted by the University of Southern California, this site serves as a companion to the Arnold Schoenberg Center. Schoenberg Archives has organized many of the materials housed at the Schoenberg Center into format-based groupings. This site includes some digitized images of the original objects.
- Schubert Manuskripte
Supported by the Vienna Science and Technology Fund, this online website provides access to 500 digital images of materials by and about Franz Schubert, including autograph scores, correspondence, and related documentation.
- Schumann, Robert--Werke
This German language site from the Bavarian State Library in Munich is part of a project to create a digitized collection of Robert Schumann's musical works.
- The Richard Wagner Archive
This site provides extensive information about the life and work of Wagner.
- The Kurt Weill Foundation for Music
In addition to biographical, bibliographic, and discographic information about Kurt Weill, this site includes similar information about vocalist Lotte Lenya and information about Foundation publications.