Western Libraries Code of Conduct
Western Libraries seeks to provide a welcoming and safe environment that includes access to well-managed and diverse library collections and the assistance and expertise of its knowledgeable staff. The following Use & Conduct Policies are intended to ensure a safe and secure environment for all users.
- Comply with all Library policies.
- Use computers and online resources within the guidelines of Western Libraries Computer Use Policy and Western Washington University’s Academic Technology and User Services Ethical Conduct Policy.
- Adhere to policies governing appropriate use of University identification and present University identification or alternate ID upon request.
- Limit use of the Library to authorized areas only.
- Respond to security gate alarms, emergency alarms, and other situations as instructed by Library staff.
- Food and drink are permitted in most areas of the library complex. Users are expected to dispose of waste appropriately and leave their work area clean of food or drink debris.
Individuals will not engage in prohibited activities, including but not limited to:
- Creating excessive noise (note: floors Wilson 4 and 5 are designated as quiet study areas; collaborative spaces are provided on the main floor; group study rooms may be booked at the circulation desk).
- Bringing bicycles into the building.
- Bringing pets, comfort animals, or animals that are not certified ADA service animals into Library facilities.
- Vending, peddling, solicitation or petitioning.
- Blocking entrances, exits or aisles.
- Harassment of library users and staff.
- Removal of library property without proper checkout or authorization.
- Entering unauthorized areas, and/or interfering with library staff in the performance of their duties.
- Entering or remaining in the library after hours.
- Altering or damaging library buildings, furniture, materials or equipment, including computer systems, networks, programs or data.
- Disorderly, disruptive or threatening behavior including: threats of violence, violence, abusive language, or possession of weapons.
- Sexual offenses including, but not limited to harassment, indecent exposure, unwanted touching, and inappropriate sexual advances.
- Use of alcohol, tobacco or related nicotine products including e-cigarettes, or controlled substances.
- Violation of U.S. Copyright Law, and the use or dissemination of content from licensed electronic resources in ways that violate licensing agreements or copyright laws.
- Any other activity or conduct in violation of federal, state, or local law or ordinance, or university regulation, including those established in the Washington Administrative Code.
Library users found in violation of this Code of Conduct may be:
- Asked to present identification to Library staff.
- Subject to a search of backpacks or bags.
- Directed to leave the premises.
- Suspended from access to all Library facilities for a period of time.
Anyone violating these policies can be asked to leave the Library and refused future access.
Western Libraries staff may contact University Police to report violations of policy when warranted. Disciplinary or legal action may be taken in accordance with applicable federal, state, city, and campus laws and policies.