Special Collections holds many treasures, each with its own special story. Some of these stories we know, some we can only guess at. One of these is the Valentine's Manual of Old New York, no. 6, New Series 1922, edited by Henry Collins Brown. What makes this volume particularly "special" to Special Collections is the inscription on one of the prelimiinary pages, "To our friend, Dr. C. H. Fisher, from Mr. and Mrs. J.
Gender neutral restrooms are now available at Western Libraries! The two restrooms are located on the Sixth Floor of Wilson Library, and are available from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Other gender neutral restrooms are available at locations including:
- Old Main, Fifth Floor
- Bond Hall, Mezzanine
- Wade King Recreation Ctr., First Floor
The gender neutral restrooms in Western Libraries are a product of the partnership between Western Libraries and the Equal Opportunity Office. Furthermore, the decision was informed by the May 2012 Resolution Regarding Gender Neutral Restrooms signed by the Board of Directors of the Associated Students of Western Washington University. If you have questions, please contact Rebecca Marrall at email@example.com or visit the Western Libraries Diversity Guide here.
Few visitors to Special Collections can resist the magnetic attraction of the marvelously decorated "Chinese Chair" that lends an exotic air to the otherwise sober Research Room.
Academic Video Online brings together on a single
cross-searchable platform a completely integrated online repository of video titles. Includes newsreels, award-winning documentaries, field recordings, interviews, lectures, training videos, and exclusive primary footage becoming a collection of 22,000 full-length videos by 2013.
Videos are in many languages, with the majority in English; those not in English have subtitles in English. Transcripts in English.
"Don't shoot! I am your interpreter!"
The Center for Pacific Northwest Studies is delighted to make available a collection of almost 1500 images documenting the construction of the Lower Baker River Dam north of Concrete, Washington. See here for online images.
Downstream face of the Lower Baker River Dam, December 6, 1925. (#LBDC1576)
Completed in 1925, the dam is part of the Baker River Hydroelectric Project that formed Baker Lake and Lake Shannon and which is operated by Puget Sound Energy (The Upper Baker Dam lies nine miles upstream, and was constructed in 1959).
The original photographs, transferred to CPNWS in February 2012, are well-traveled. They were shot by the superintendent of the construction project, George P. Jessup, and document the day-to-day process of construction on the dam during 1924 and 1925. Jessup and his family later moved across the United States as he worked on other engineering projects, and the collection traveled with them. The images were eventually donated by Jessup's daughter, Nancy Underwood, to the Coffee County Historical Society in Manchester, Tennesee, whose staff took steps to research and transfer the collection back to its origins: The collection was delivered first to the editor of the Concrete Herald, and then to the custody of the Concrete Heritage Museum Association.
Museum Board members pursued a successful collaboration with Puget Sound Energy (present owners of the dam), who funded a project to catalog, preserve and create digital copies of the images. Reference copies are now available for visitors to the Concrete Heritage Museum. The original images and digital copies are now housed and accessible at WWU's Center for Pacific Northwest Studies. Emma Darmody, an intern and graduate student in WWU's Archives and Records Management Program, readied content for this digital collection hosted on the ContentDM platform.
Related holdings at CPNWS include records of the Puget Sound Power and Light Company (and over 50 subsidiary and predecessor companies that pre-dated Puget Sound Energy).
CPNWS is a program of Western Libraries' Heritage Resources, and is located in the Goltz-Murray Archives Building at WWU.
Among the wealth of historic photographs available through Western Libraries’ Heritage Resources is the collection of over 30,000 aerial images archived at the Center for Pacific Northwest Studies. Ranging in date from 1935-2001, these images were generated through numerous aerial surveys around the region, including the northwest counties and National Forest lands of Washington State. Formerly housed at Huxley Map Library, these valuable resources were transferred to the Center for Pacific Northwest Studies (CPNWS) in 2011.
Following extensive work by Eric Mastor to further organize and describe the collection, a detailed guide to available flight indices and accompanying sets of images can be accessed online. CPNWS staff welcome inquiries from the public about access and use of the collection, and recommend that interested researchers contact us for an advance appointment to view materials at the archives.
A stereoscope, as pictured above, provides a means to view overlapping, vertical images and obtain a magnified, 3D effect (useful for assessing the depth of terrain). Stereoscopes are available at CPNWS for use by researchers.
The majority of photographs in the collection result from aerial surveys conducted by US government agencies, including the USDA Forest Service and Washington Department of Natural Resources. These include coverage of Whatcom County, the Mt. Baker National Forest and other National Forest and Parks lands in Washington. The collection also includes some coverage of other Washington counties and U.S. states. For example, a small group of images document survey work conducted for the Alaska-Canada Highway during the 1930s. The collection is a valuable resource for researchers interested in environmental history and change (including forestation, glaciation and waterways), and supports fields of inquiry relating to habit restoration, urban growth studies and property history. All are welcome to contact or visit CPNWS to find out more.
On June 25th, Special Collections was pleased to welcome the Huxley College of the Environment class ESCI 315: The Art, Science, and Ethics of Fly Fishing, taught by Leo Bodensteiner and Steve Meyer.
The class was shown many of the treasures from the Fly Fishing Collection, including the first American edition of Izaak Walton's classic, The Complete Angler, or, the Contemplative Man's Recreation (1857).
The deluxe edition of The Dettes: A Catskill Legend (enclosed in a custom slipcase with a shadow box on the front containing three mounted flies by the Dettes), The American Fly Fisher, a periodical published by the American Museum of Fly Fishing. And the Art of Angling Journal, which showcases the beauty of the sport.
Bamboo rods, fly plates, and other realia were on display in the Research Room. Later the class toured the storage area, exploring the complete Fly Fishing Collection.
This book contains a facsimile of the original 1577 book, along with a modernized transcription of the text. Attributed to Vicar William Samuel, it is the second earliest book on angling in the English language.
The single copy that survived was discovered in 1953, went to the British Museum, and ended up in the Princeton University Library.