Special Collections

Special Collections Oral History Program


Larry E. Johnson

Campus School, 1929-1939

Interviewer:     Larry E. Johnson

Date of Interview:     January 2006

Location of Interview:     Interviewee's home, Kirkland, Wash.


ATTENTION: © Copyright Western Washington University Libraries Special Collections. "Fair use" criteria of Section 107 of the Copyright Act of 1976 must be followed. The following materials can be used for educational and other noncommercial purposes without the written permission of Western Washington University Libraries Special Collections. These materials are not to be used for resale or commercial purposes without written authorization from Western Washington University Libraries Special Collections. All materials cited must be attributed to Western Washington University Libraries Special Collections.

Authorized Transcript 

This interview was a self-interview done by Larry E. Johnson at his home in Kirkland, Washington. It was originally videotaped, transferred to DVD, and an audio tape made from the DVD for transcription purposes.

LJ: Hello, my name is Larry Johnson. I was born in Bellingham August 15th, 1924. I have been approached by the Campus School [Memories Project to complete an] alumni questionnaire as to why I attended the Campus School. The Campus School was very close to my home, which was 701 Forest Street right at the top of Forest Street hill at the corner of Forest and Oak Street. I was the first son of two boys [born] to Carl Johnson and Hilma Johnson. Both of the Johnsons immigrated from Sweden. My Dad came over in 1892 at the age of 17 and my Mother came over in 1923 at the age of 24. The difference in age between the two of them was 23 years, so there was quite an age gap there.

My Dad spent quite a few years building an apartment house at 701 Forest Street. He did it all in the evenings. Summertime was a good time to work on it and in those days Forest Street hill was just a dirt road and lumber was delivered by horse and wagon. He bought the lumber mostly used for ten dollars a thousand board feet. He laboriously worked on the framing for years. The concrete, Iím sure, was hand-mixed on the job. Also, the aggregate was probably brought in by horse and wagon. Surprisingly enough, the apartment at the present time is 90 years old. It still stands very, very dignified and, as far as I can see, no major defects in it.  It is surprising what can be done over a long period of time if you have good workmanship and careful design.

The apartment gradually filled up after he finished it, which was probably about 1920. Some of the people that moved in were college professors.  Since this apartment house was only two blocks from the campus, why, it seemed the natural place for the professors to reside. One of the first occupants was Delia Keeler. She at one time was the dean of women at what was called Bellingham Normal, which was a two-year teacher training college. Later on other professors and teachers came in, like Linda Countryman and Bertha Crawford and others that Iím not familiar with.

I was born [in 1924 but] the question of school did not come up until I was of Kindergarten age. Iím sure at that time that Delia Keeler was very eager to help to see that I was registered at that school.

My birthday, being August 15th, [made me] a very young Kindergartener and I probably should have been held back a year. However, I proceeded ahead and my brother that was two years younger [and] born in 1926 [came along] the fall after. Obviously being only two blocks away from the school, it was the logical school to go to.

I found out much later, particularly after marrying my wife, who went to Lincoln School, that the Bellingham Normal [Training School] was considered a very elite school. I guess what she meant by that is that the people had a lot money. In reviewing the people that were in my class, there was quite a spread. There were people that were just barely making it during the Depression years, others that were comfortable but not rich like my Dad and my family. He was comfortable because he didnít have a mortgage on his apartment house. He seemed to gloat over the fact that he was the only Bellingham-ite that did not lose his apartment house during the Depression.

The reason I am doing this on disk and/or tape is that I have too much to say than could be printed on this questionnaire. But I will kind of go through the questionnaire and see if I can fulfill some of the requirements.  

How did you happen to attend the Campus School?

The answer to the question, how did you happen to attend the Campus School, I think was explained [by its being] the closest school to go to. The only other school that was close enough was Sehome School, which was at the bottom of the High Street hill. Three or four of our neighbor kids did go to the Sehome School.

Did anyone else in your family attend the Campus School and what were their names?

Yes; Carl Erling Johnson went to the Campus School and he was two years younger than me.  He went all the way through the ninth grade just like I did, never going to another school and only going to Bellingham Senior High later on. Iím sure Erling will send you answers to the questionnaire on his own.

What were the years and grades of your attendance? 

This is kind of an interesting question because my class, which was actually the class of 1939, meaning that was the year that I attended ninth grade, that class was the first class that had a ninth grade education at the Campus School, meaning they adopted the junior high school in 1939. I went through Kindergarten all the way through without a lapse and so did my brother.

My Kindergarten teacher was Miss Kinsman. I think her first name was Priscilla, but Iím not certain of that. My first grade teacher was Miss Merriman. My second grade teacher was my favorite teacher of all time, Miss Moffat. The reason she was my favorite is that I went into that grade with poor reading skills; I was in the lowest reading class. But by the time I finished second grade, I was in the highest group and I think there were three groups that we had to go through. Luckily for me, Miss Moffat went on to teach the third grade.  (I believe that Miss Casanova replaced Miss Moffat when she moved to the third grade). Then when it came to the fourth grade it was Miss Elliot. She was another graduate of Columbia University, just like most of them were. My fifth grade teacher was Miss Foster. My sixth grade teacher was Miss Potter. My seventh grade teacher was Miss Van Pelt. My eighth grade teacher was Miss Crawford.  The only man teacher I had in grade school and junior high arrived on the campus just before I started the ninth grade and his name was Dr. Grim.

What was so unique about all the classes and everything else was many of the classes were taught by college professors and so we had the advantage of their instruction plus we were instructing them on how to teach future teachers. It was really a wonderful school from that standpoint. We would have three or four student teachers every morning and we had three or four student teachers every afternoon and they were very eager to help.  It really reduced the teacher-student ratio down to maybe one to five or one to six. Iím sure that was very helpful, too. If we had any kind of a shortcoming on our progress, why they quickly would find a tutor for us and that tutor would happen to be a person that was either student teaching or wanting to go into some kind of specialty.

I remember I was tagged with a reading comprehension problem. I was assigned to a fellow and he was living right behind the library there up on a rock hill that is now gone. He had a small apartment downstairs. We became great chums. Unfortunately I canít remember his name. He loved to build gliders or airplanes and that started my hobby of building model airplanes stick by stick. I remember he got two pretty good sized gliders and we hiked up the hill behind Waldo Field. It was a space that is still there, all the way from the road up on Sehome Hill and the stadium was in that opening and we launched the glider up on the road above on Sehome Hill and it flowed majestically all the way down to Waldo Field and landed down below. We really thought we had a great thing there.

My grade school and junior high school years were very, very fruitful. It could never be replaced by any other grade or junior high school, Iím sure.  I went from about 1929 through 1939 at that particular school.

Did my family pay any fees for my attendance at the Campus School?

Not that I can recall. If there were any fees involved, not too many people had it during the Depression years.

Where did you live when you attended the Campus School (the area of town or the county)?

Top of Forest Street hill.

How did I get to and from school?

Very interesting, I could run or walk. I could walk up the hill between Forest Street and Garden Street and then the hill between Garden and High Street. I can even recall once in a while going home for lunch; it was so close. Then of course it was just another block or so up to Old Main. Old Main is the building that we were in and they didnít start building the new building until we were in junior high school. They finished it just before the war.

The interesting thing about my walks to school is that Dr. Fisher lived at the Corner of High Street and Oak Street. He would usually saunter along, heading off to school about the same time I did. He was an immensely tall man; he must have been six foot six or six foot seven, and very, very dignified. He would wear a Hamburg hat and sometimes he would have an overcoat and sometimes he wouldnít. I would kind of tag along with him and we talked and had a real good time. I would get up there to Old Main and I would take the lower elevations and he would go on into the administration part.

The same thing happened when Dr. Haggard came. At that time I was in the ninth grade and I would be walking up to school and I would sometimes walk along with him. Dr. Haggard was probably only five foot six and so he was almost a foot shorter. By that time, I was a little bit taller than Dr. Haggard! But we still talked very, very earnestly. He has a son, Wade Haggard, who was just coming out from where they used to live, but he didnít go to the Campus School. I think he finished his junior high just before they came to the campus. Later on, I enjoyed [a] great friendship with Wade all the way through high school. We were even in the Navy together and neighbors where I live now [off] [Holmes Point] Drive. Wade worked for the Seattle School District and had a very successful career.  Unfortunately he died from throat cancer about 15 years ago.

What did I do for lunch?

Well, weíd have lunch pails or sack lunches and sometimes we would have lunches right there at the school. It kind of depended on how much money was available to spend for school lunches.

Do I remember any favorite classmates?

Yes. There arenít too many still alive.  C. Ray Cory (who lived there below High Street hill) [and I] used to play tennis along with Stuart Moldrem and George Livesey; Erling (my brother), Vance Reynolds, and Wade Haggard (who as I say only went to the high school), would all congregate either up on the athletic field and play sandlot football or baseball.  We really waited in line to play on the tennis court. I think there were four tennis courts there on High Street where the auditorium is now.

We used to be able to crawl through the pipe tunnels on Saturdays to get to the only gym they had in the early days, which later became kind of a student union area, just behind the main entrance to Old Main. I suppose the custodians knew we were sneaking in there and playing basketball but they didnít report it to our parents. Maybe they even knew we were doing that because later just about all the kids that gym-ratted there ended up playing high school and junior high school basketball.

Do I remember any of the student teachers?

Yes, I remember them, but I have an awful time remembering their names. I remember in the fifth grade we had two student teachers that were nuns.  [That] was very interesting because we sure put them on the spot by asking all kinds of questions, maybe they were embarrassing, I donít know, but they were very, very sweet and Iím sure we learned a lot from them and they learned a lot from us.

What were my favorite subjects or classroom activities?

Well oddly enough I think in the junior high Miss Countryman would have what we called ďhome economics class,Ē where boys and girls both learned how to cook and we also learned how to sew. I became a very good sock-darner and learned how to cross-stitch like youíre making a rug. My wife of today says, ďWhat happened to all that stuff you learned about cooking and sewing and things like that?Ē She says, ďIím doing all that myself!Ē I say, ďGreat, thatís wonderful!Ē

The other [classes] I enjoyed [were] Dr. Ruckmickís, who also taught college industrial arts.  He was our instructor along with student teachers in photography and woodworking. Both woodworking and photography were part of my favorite [activities]. As I recall, we also I think had a drafting class down there. This kind of started me toward my future career and I think it helped us a great deal. I was able to make a choice of career quite early.

Bertha Crawford conducted a classroom experiment I guess, or maybe a requirement that we all get up in front of the students and tell them what we wanted to be when we grew up. Along with that, on some occasions, there would be a big crowd of student teachers sitting behind us in the class. There would be as many as twenty or thirty of them. I remember it came to me, the prettiest girl in the class said she wanted to be a civil engineer. Her named was [Jean] Coltman. I thought, ĎBoy, that sounds like a good idea, so maybe Iíll impress her.í So I got up and told everybody I wanted to be a civil engineer. I donít know how successful I was at explaining all that, but the desire carried on through high school and I took all the right classes.

It allowed me, when I was called up in the draft for World War II, to apply for naval officer training. I had to take a test in Mount Vernon, which was the equivalent of an Annapolis test. I passed that test, and I think the main reason I passed it was that I had prepared properly in high school and junior high school for a future as an engineer.

When I got down to the University of Washington to start my classes, the guidance officer or so-called vocational person asked what I wanted to be. I said I wanted to be an aeronautical engineer because I was very, very interested in building models and everything else. He said, ďThe Navy doesnít need aeronautical engineers, they need civil engineers, so youíre going to take civil.Ē I said, ďYes, sir.Ē I was able to go through the program down there after taking my first year up at Western Washington College of Education (freshman).  I was called up in the draft and went down and finished my total education in 1945, one year ahead of schedule because of the very, very accelerated program we had. I became an ensign in the Civil Engineer Corps in the US Navy.

What were your favorite subjects or classroom activities?

I think I probably enumerated all of those. The classroom activities, there were some scientific things that we did and that came in handy, too.

What kinds of learning materials did you mostly use (regular school textbooks, materials created by your teachers or others)?

It was mostly textbooks and there were some materials created by teachers and of course industrial arts, photography and cooking, why, whatever [they] made, it worked out pretty good. The teachers had a great deal of knowledge. In those years, it seemed like Columbia University was the number one school for teacher training.

By the way, our air conditioning and the lighting and everything else were very, very basic, just overheard lamps and if you needed ventilation you opened the windows. In Old Main, you had a little deflector down at the bottom so you wouldnít get any draft on you. It didnít seem to matter that our building was old and inadequate. It really was the teachers that made the difference. Here I am a former general contractor that probably built over 200 schools, and everyone seemed to think they had to have the finest equipment imaginable. I often say itís your teachers that really make the difference.

What kind of grading system was used during your attendance (letter grades or narrative reports)?

Both; there were some classes that were either an ĎSí or a ĎUí or Ďvery satisfactoryí or whatever. I think we went into A, B, C, D and whatever at the higher grades. There was a lot of narrative reporting and I think that was very important to our parents.

Do I remember any creative activities such as weaving, making things, etc?

Well, yes, industrial arts and [home] economics; making things and photography. I think photography was really important to me because it really opened up an artistic avenue.

What was it like to be observed so often by student teachers?

I thought it was great and I hope they learned that there are all kinds of personalities and particularly with boys in their junior high school years, itís very, very difficult to come into your own and develop a personality that will carry on forward.

Did you attend summer school at the Campus School? If so, why?

Yes, I think on two occasions I did. I think it was some items that I was deficient in. I donít remember what it was, but it must have helped me. I think probably reading comprehension was one of the things that helped me.

What out-of-classroom activities did you engage in? What did you do at recess, lunchtime? Which did you enjoy the most? What games did you play?

Well of course in the earlier years we went down to the playground where there was a sand pit and swings and everything else. Later on in junior high school we would have intramural activities and the junior high school team. We were kind of somewhat on our own.

Did you visit the College itself (the College library, attend assemblies, attend sporting events or any other events at the College) while you were in the Campus School? Any special memories of your experiences?

Iíll tell you that was probably the nicest thing of all. They would have touring groups come through the college and entertain. They would have operettas, they would have singing there, and we were always invited to go sit in the front and attend all these things. And so culturally and socially we were really treated well. There were great singers that appeared there, pianists that were outstanding. We often did drama ourselves and had plays that we did. One time I was so enthusiastic over something, I came rushing out apparently with a dagger and I fell flat on my face! So I guess I was quite enthusiastic about all of those things.

At what grade level did you enter public school? Why did you transfer? What was the transition like for you?

Well, I guess the Campus School was a public school. It really wasnít a private school. I think they allowed whoever applied. If [you were] was well-rounded, you could get in there. I never did enter a public school except the senior high school which the Campus School did not have. I started there in 1939 and we were through in 1942. I donít know how important it was, but almost all the offices of the school, the student body president, the vice president, the members of the band and all the cum laude students were all from the Bellingham [Normal] Campus School. Here it was, a little group, thirty each of the three years, coming into that school and there was probably about 1,200 coming from other schools. We were welcome there and we did all the important things; the so-called political life there and musical life. I think there were 39 students who were cum laude and I think the Campus School furnished about 20 or 25 of them. There was a huge, huge need for that type of education and they seemed to fit in very, very well.

There was no transition except that transition to high school and of course that transition [would have happened anyway].  We were a little doubtful that we would be accepted that well. But we were accepted easily into athletics and plays, music and you name it. We were very popular.

Please share any specific differences between public school and Campus School that especially affected you?

I canít answer that because I didnít go to a public school except high school and I would say I probably was a little slow socially when I got to high school, but thatís probably because I was born to immigrant parents. They had a little bit of a difficulty introducing us to social life.

What further education did I pursue?

As I told you, I went one year to Western Washington [College of Education].  I got my BS in civil engineering and then [a] commission in the Navy.  I was discharged from the Navy, and then I went back to graduate school at the University of Washington and got my masters degree in civil engineering. While there, I taught part time, structural engineering to the architects and then a little later I taught estimating in building construction. That was very handy for me because not only did I learn something, but you learn even more when you try to teach other people. Itís surprising how things come to you when you try to teach it and explain it to others. I also took a state-wide test (two-day test), which was the equivalent of taking a BAR exam or I guess a medical examination or whatever, and I became a professional engineer. I do think my education was good, period.

In 1950 I married a Bellingham girl name Naomi Larson. There again I think my education helped me because I made a real good choice and I hope she did, too. We married and I went from engineering to become a general contractor. After a few lean years, things blossomed out and I stayed in contracting and had my own company until about 1990 and then retired. Luckily we made proper preparations for our retirement by having a retirement fund and taking care of medical necessities and everything else. Naomi and I have been married now for 57 years and happily so. We have four children; three boys and a girl. The girl is a teacher over in Spokane. The oldest boy is a former president of a large contracting company and now heís consulting and having a huge amount of work in the Bellevue area. The second boy is doing very well in the wholesale clothing business and the fourth son is in construction and doing quite well. We have 13 grandchildren and six great grandchildren and are very proud of them.

If you later attended Western and majored in education, did you observe or student-teach in the Campus School? What was that experience like?

[Not applicable].

How did your attendance at Campus School influence your life and/or career?

As I explained earlier Ė tremendously!  I had a lot of friends. Not too many are left from my grade, but I will furnish you a picture of our [class] in the eighth grade. That will be kind of interesting.

Are you still in touch with any Campus School classmates? If so, can you help us to contact them?

Yes, I think the ones that I know that are still alive [are:] Edgar Johnston; I know that John Sonneland over in Spokane is a very successful surgeon. Heís retired now, and if you donít have his address I can get that for you. I think Margaret Mueller, who married George Livesey is still alive. Helen Genther, who married Bill Follis, I know is still alive. I can help you with that.

Would you be willing to serve as a contact person for your class for the purpose of encouraging participation?

Yes, in the planning for 2007. Thereís not too many that I have to go after, but Iíd be glad to try and trace some of them down.

Do you have any Campus School memorabilia, including photographs, class publications, crafts, artwork and may we contact you about these items?

Yes, I do have that picture but not much of anything else.

Please share with us any favorite memories of your Campus School days and any comments about areas not covered by the questions above.

Well, I think there were areas where we used to skip over the graduation tablets in the graduation walk and that was kind of a fun thing to do. Of course, only a grade-schooler would probably do that. Other than that, the memory of that beautiful flagpole on the little knoll in front of Old Main was a very picturesque item. And of course the view of Bellingham and Bellingham Bay from both the school and up on Sehome Hill in general was real important. We as kids used to play at Sehome Hill for weeks and weeks and days and days. We used to hike around there all over the place.

I remember Miss Keeler, Delia Keeler, lived in our apartment house for 25 years. She had a flower garden on the side hill and she used to hire me to mow around it and spade it up. She had vegetables and fruit trees and everything else. She had a beautiful hillside. My mother tried to copy her on the hill below with her flower garden, and by the time we got around the other side of the house, why, we had a huge vegetable garden. My brother and I were so busy spading and weeding that we sometimes kind of got lost in the shuffle.

I do remember a Mr. Hoppe that would hire my Dad every once in a while to do some work on his place. My Dad was kind of a semi-retired carpenter. He did quite a bit of work for Mr. Hoppe. May Mead, who is the daughter of I think our first governor, was the main nurse up there. She was a very sweet woman. She would always examine us at the first of every year.  I used to mow lawns for some of the teachers that lived around the college. I would get my ten cents when I got done.

I remember [Dr. Knapman], who taught science classes both at the junior high school level and in the college. I took classes from him in my freshman year of college. One of the most famous and gentle and great teachers that I think Iíve ever had in college was Dr. Bond; when I got down to the University [of Washington], they wouldnít accept his credits that I brought down with me in calculus. I had to take calculus all over again. If I were going to compare Dr. Bond with the three calculus teachers I had, there is no question that he was far superior to those three that I had. I really remember him. 

There was a Miss Ullin that taught French in the junior high and then also in college. When my session with her was over, she said, ďI think you better start all over again because you didnít get this too well.Ē So I went to Bellingham High and signed up for French and Miss Foster there said, ďI think you better go to a higher class. You are way above everyone else.Ē So it just shows you what the observations of the teachers are.

There was Miss Gragg. She was not only a college instructor but she would come into the classroom for handwriting. I donít know if my handwriting is so great, but I know my printing is good. She was very, very explicit in how to do handwriting.

Of course I mentioned Dr. Ruckmick, he was great.  Mr. Carver, as I recall, I think he was not only the track coach for the college but also I think he was the basketball coach. Then of course I turned out for freshman football. I became the greatest guy on the end of the bench youíve ever seen! Itís probably because I was maybe six foot two and a 175 pounds. I donít think Mr. Lappenbusch thought I could push around those 250 pound people. So I never got in a football game. I remember sitting on the bench when Pacific Lutheran had their great football team: Tommy Gunn-Tomervick for quarterback. Harshman was a fullback and there was a fellow named Platt that could have played for any professional football team. They were just really great.

I think this should do it. I answered everything that I know. Thank you.

Addendum; Mr. Johnsonís son Carl followed up with some questions.

CJ: Did you talk about your brother Erling going to school?

LJ: I think Erling will probably fill in his own. I know that Delia Keeler spent hours and hours in the evenings helping Erling on his reading. In fact, he had to go back one year because he could not really get the reading skills he needed. To this day, Iím not sure what caused the problem, but he seems to think he had a form of dyslexia. But he did, he struggled through and by gosh, when he came back out of the service he went to the University of Washington.  

I tried to convince the coach down there that Erling was a great football player. He said, ďWell, send him over. Heís on the G.I. Bill  so he doesnít really need any financial help.Ē So he made the team. Boy, Iíll tell you, he had to work awfully hard to get through school. The advisor said that he shouldnít even go to college down there, but he did it. He got through and he got through by hard work and persistence. There were lots of times he could have gone out on dates, we both belonged to the same fraternity, and no, he said he had to study. He got through. To this day he is doing fine. Heís been married and had nice kids. Iím sure heíll answer to you shortly.

CJ: And you talked about the tall professor that you used to walk with?

LJ: Dr. Fisher? Yes. He was the president of the college. He ran into some kind of strange problem. They claimed he was a Communist or something like that. He never showed any signs of that. I think there was one senator that was raising heck about it.

CJ: McCarthy?

LJ: McCarthy, yes. I think Fisherís name came up somewhere down the line on that. I donít know whether it hampered his career or not. As far as I was concerned, he was a good man.

CJ: So they still have that same school today up in Bellingham?

LJ: The Campus School? Oh no, thatís another thing. For some reason or another, the state legislature I guess decided that that school shouldnít be done that way so they closed it down. I think that was the biggest mistake they ever made. It was closed down sometime after the war but Iím not sure when it was. I couldnít believe that they would do that. I remember my brother and I would go through while it was being built and try to decide what was going to be going here and what was going to go through there and everything else. We used to love to watch construction projects on the campus. That library, designed by Bebb and Gould, was one of the most beautiful buildings Iíve ever seen. Then they had another architect work on the west end of it and he spoiled it. A few years after he finished it, they hired another architect to cover up his work so it matched.

CJ: Too modern, was it?

LJ: Yes. It was just completely out of line. The original building was Romanesque arched windows. It was brick and a tile roof and everything else, just an absolutely beautiful building and a beautiful library. That west end addition was just a disgrace. I think they have rectified that now and then they have a tunnel that goes back to the Haggard building that is just south of it. Itís a huge campus.

In fact, a lot of the kids that went to school there lived in what they called ďHappy Valley,Ē which is where the school extended. Itís an elongated campus. There are dormitories up on the hills above and I think there was an area called ďSunset HeightsĒ that we used to hike up into and play around and go to the frog ponds and have all kinds of fun. I think a lot of the dormitories went up in that area.

Then there was a new athletic field that went in just behind the Carver Gymnasium. Thatís where they practice football now. Then of course the old football field and track became Red Square or some kind of a square and then the Campus School was built right against the hill just opposite that central square. The road to Sehome Hill was closed and it went in a different direction further south and went straight up Sehome Hill and then the little curving road that used to connect up there has been closed and there are buildings up in there.

It became a truncated triangle; narrow right where Edens Hall and Old Main was, and then it widened out as it went south and went down [toward] Happy Valley. Of course a lot of really old houses came down. There were no glorious houses there, but thatís where a lot of people with low income used to have their houses. Maybe they came out good on the sale. We even had our own little garden up at the edge of Sehome Hill. Weíd have our little student garden up there. We used to fool around there and have fun, too.

CJ: Did this Campus School have sports for the junior high age that competed against the other junior highs?

LJ: Yes, we did.

CJ: And Erling played football.  Did you do basketball or what did you do?

LJ: Just basketball. I donít remember if we had softball/baseball, but the basketball [team], I remember we lost to Fairhaven Junior High 8-6.

CJ: Oh, my.

LJ: Well, you used to have to center jump.

CJ: After every basket?

LJ: Yes. We werenít too happy, but it was a lot of fun.

CJ: Those were the days when you had to climb up the ladder and get the basketball out of the basket.

LJ: Sometimes.  The cheering sections were right along the sidelines and there was only two or three feet there and there was a little tiny balcony running the whole side of that little gym about one story up. If youíre talking about the facilities today versus the facilities then, no comparison, what the people demand in their buildings now compared to what we had thenÖ

CJ: For building code, you mean?

LJ: Well the building code, the air circulation, the sun. When it came to shading out the sun, we pulled down the shades. Now youíve got to have all kinds of fancy paraphernalia for all that. We had wood floors. We didnít have any kind of tile or carpets or anything else. It was just varnished wood floors in all the classrooms. That was the way Old Main was built. By the time I got in the ninth grade, we had someone come up as a dancing teacher and she decided to teach us how to waltz.

CJ: Do you remember her name?

LJ: That I donít remember, no. A few of the names escape me. Now I can be introduced to someone and turn around and talk to someone else and then I completely forget their name that I was introduced to. My long-term memory is very, very good I guess. I am 81 now and I feel fine.

I want to thank the Bellingham Normal, the Western Washington College of Education, Western Washington University and the Campus School. Thatís it.  

The End